Orange FC stretches unbeaten run with win over league leaders ACES United

Orange FC stretches unbeaten run with win over league leaders ACES United

Orange FC continued their unbeaten run since their opening day defeat to close the gap at the top of the table to 8 points with three games in hand. The boys in orange were forced to put together a make shift centre back and centre midfield pairing with the core of Malboro, Jiaping and Jack missing. They brought in Zhuihui to patrol the midfield and gave a debut to Kumar.

It was to be a tough fight against ACES United.

The boys in Orange started brightly and got an opening goal through a throw in from the right. In the 6 yard box confusion, Olivier was on hand to drive the ball in for the opening goal under a tight situation. Aces almost got an equaliser at the end of the first half following a confusion between Hsueh Fong and Bowen but luckily for them, the ball bounced over. Chances were few and far in between with the first half ending 1-0.

Aces came back strongly in the second half and should have gotten an equalizer during a goal mouth scramble but their veteran strike could only hit the ball onto the crossbar from 6 yards out. Orange team set out to stifle Aces with a tight formation and played on the counter. In a counter attacking move, the ever industrious Max took the ball on twenty yards and won a penalty when the ball was adjudged to hit the defender hand when he was crossing.

With their regular penalty taker out, Junren took on the responsibility and dispatch the penalty at ease.

Aces then came back strongly and bombarded Orange team down the left flank but was foiled on multiple attempts by the colossus Wee who was making his first centre back appearance in more than one year. He somehow displayed overconfidence in one situation when he was dispossesed inside the 6 yard box and Aces took the consolation with open arms. Orange team appealed strongly as there were three fouls committed in the build up by Aces which was a handball followed by a push on Wee and then a kick on Hsueh Fong. However, the refree waived their appeals away.

​Shocked by the previous goal, Orange team were in disarray as another ball down the left flank allowed Aces to capitalise. In his urgency to win back the ball, Wee went in strongly and gave away a penalty. Aces equalised and their morale was on the high. With managerial changes coming from the bench, Orange team tried to chase for the winning goal. They were finally rewarded with ten minutes remaining when Will threaded a long ball in for Kumar. Debutant Kumar showed his composure by chesting down the ball, flicking it onto his other foot and then volleyed it into the goal.

This time, Aces could not find a way back and Orange Team held firm for all three points.